Monroe County School District Registration
Although there is no cut-off date for registering, students are urged to register at the local school early to avoid processing delays and to ensure they can attend school on opening day. Parents and students register at the local school office.
- School Choice - Under the Monroe County School District’s School Choice Plan, parents who wish to enroll their child in a school that is not in their resident attendance area must complete an application form by May 30. For those students who are already attending a Monroe County School that is not in their resident attendance area, parents must complete an Intent to Remain form by the same date.
- Virtual Instruction Program - The Monroe County School District offers a full-time virtual instruction program through a district franchise with the Northeast Florida Educational Consortium (NEFEC). For information about the program, visit the VIP website at:
- Entering For the First Time - Students entering Monroe County Public Schools for the first time must present the following documents:
- An original birth certificate or alternative must be presented (see Florida Statutes 232.03)
- Proof of age and legal name
- Proof of a current physical examination and a current certificate of immunization DH-680 - Florida Department of Health Immunization Guide
- Proof of current address - (homestead exemption card, mortgage payment book, lease agreement, house insurance, voter's registration card, or most recent utility bill are acceptable)
- Transferring From Other Districts - Students transferring from other school districts should provide their most recent report card or other records from the last school they attended.
- Foreign Born Students - Foreign born students, including permanent resident aliens, will follow the same procedures indicated for the native born. First time students, both foreign born and transfers from other states may register at their schools.
- Open Enrollment Plan - Controlled Open Enrollment is the school selection process for Monroe County Public Schools. Parents have the opportunity to request a school other than the school in their designated attendance area, but only within their geographic region of the Upper Keys, Middle Keys, or Lower Keys. Parents may also apply to the three charter schools in the district.
For more information concerning immunizations or health issues, contact the Monroe County Health Department:
Location: Gato Building, 1100 Simonton Street, Key West, FL 33040 Phone: (305) 293-7500